The United States of America Army depends on the meals ready to eat for survival while they are away from home. Its origin is pegged on the k-rations and c-rations which were provided to soldiers during the second world war, which then was developed further and meal combat individual rations (MCI) was used during the Vietnam and Korean wars. The meals ready to eat was developed in the 1980s and it has remained one of the primary ration in the USA.When you go for the meals ready to eat for sale, the following content is what a complete package of MRE contains:
- It will have accessories which include match boxes, spoon, salt, sugar, creamer, chewing gum, and toilet paper just to mention but the main ones.
- The entrée which comprises of the main course of food such as beef stew or spaghetti
- Flameless ration heater which is used to heat the entrée
- A side dish which comprises of fruit, rice, mashed potatoes, fruit
- Hot seasoning or sauce
- Bread or cracker
- Beverages such as dairy shakes, Gatorade-like mixes, tea, cocoa, coffee
- Spreads which comprise of jelly, peanut butter, or cheese spread
- Candy which comprises of Skittles, M&Ms, or Tootsie Rolls
- Dessert which comprises of pound cakes or cookies
A package of a single MRE comprises of 36% fat, 13% protein, and 51% carbohydrates. So a full day meal will mean that one has to take a minimum of three MRE.
What You Didn’t Know About MREs
I am sure that you didn’t know that there are over 24 entrees to choose from with an additional of 150 items which are available in the MRE chain.
Share this great information with others who might be interested in tasting MREs and getting the feel of them from a civilian perspective.